Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Museum is temporarily closed.
At the end of May 1986, the Berlin painter and art dealer Hans Pels-Leusden (who died in April 1993) opened the privately directed Käte Kollwitz-Museum in a formerly upper-class home in Fasanenstraße, in the Charlottenburg-Willmersdorf district of Berlin. Four decades after the death of Käthe Kollwitz a permanent gallery for a major part of her complete works, in the city where Kollwitz lived and worked for more than fifty year has been set up thanks to this generous donation.
The Käthe-Kollwitz-Museum Berlin is located in the former first private home built 1871 in Fasanenstraße. Destroyed during the 2nd World War, the building underwent a fundamental restauration during the nineteen-eighties.
The museum is located next to the Literaturhaus, wich can be directly accessed through a special passageway, connecting the Kollwitz gallery garden to the Literaturhause café garden.